Re: Mouse on console

On 5/1/05, s. keeling <keeling@spots.ab.ca> wrote:
> Incoming from Deboo Geek:
> > On 5/1/05, s. keeling <keeling@spots.ab.ca> wrote:
> > >
> > > From /etc/gpm.conf:
> > >
> > > #  If mouse response seems to be to slow, try using
> > > #  responsiveness=15. append can contain any random arguments to be
> >
> > That's alright but the basic thing is it should work on the console.
>
> Um, what?  That's _gpm.conf_, the file that controls the console mouse.
>
> > What would have went wrong after the apt-get upgrade?
>
> Eh?  Do you use debconf, or do you hack config files yourself?  When
> it does an upgrade, sometimes it pops up a prompt asking whether to
> install the maintainer's config file or leave yours alone.  Which did
> you choose?

FIrst of all thanks a lot to Kent for pasting me the info from some
howto, that did the work. setting the protocol to ms3 worked. Now, the
only thing remaing is making the mouse work smoothly on console and X
both. WOuld I need to play with the responsiveness and xset settings
for this? When gpm is running, The X mouse becomes unstable -
sometimes when clicking, it just goes at the top of the screen.

Secondly, this is a cheap mouse, does that mean thata the ms3 protocl
can noot make the wheel work? It would be nice to have the wheel work
in X. Though I see that even the latest Knoppix also can not make it
work.

One more problem on console is, many times, gpm fails to paste
whatever is copies, instead, it pastes many blank lines. Restarting
gpm solves this problem most of the time but it's still a problem.
Does it happen with everyone? I have noticed it since I upgraded to
Sarge, been long now.

I had installed the maintainer's config file since I thought it's just
gpm,  and shouldn't be harmful.

Thanks
Deboo

--
Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.