Re: Mouse on console

On 5/1/05, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> Deboo Geek wrote:

> >>If serial (PS/2), do you get garbage when you type "cat /dev/ttySx"
> >>(where x=0-3, or "cat /dev/psaux" for PS2) and move the mouse?
> >>

> >It's a Serial mouse attached to Com 1 or ttyS0 and yes, I do get
> >garbage when moving the mouse on console, doing a cat /dev/ttyS0.
> >

> Okay, this means the device file is working, and the system "sees" your
> mouse. That's good.
>
> >I mean instead of the middle button it has a ball, which you use to
> >move the page up and down in apps. Srry, it's called the wheel.
> >

> Ah, okay; now that makes sense.
>
> >I just reconfigured but even doing a /etc/init.d/gpm start gives no
> >output nor does the mouse cursor show up on console.  Doing a ps
> >-ef|grep gpm shws nothing either.
> >

> What's the content of /etc/gpm.conf?
>
> You are doing this outside of X, right? Not just in a terminal window
> from within X?

Yes, I'm doing it on the usual console, not under X.

Here's the file content of gpm.conf:

device=ttyS0
responsiveness=
repeat_type=ms3
type=msc
append=''
sample_rate=

I tried 2 - 3 times just now, changing between ms, msc and logi
protocols but after starting gpm, nothing happens and still ps
-ef|grep gpm gives nothing.

> (CC:ing this to you, as I vaguely remember you asking such, although I
> could be confusing you with someone else, so sorry if I'm
> inappropriately CC:ing you.)

Nevermind, but I don't need it.

Thanks
Deboo