Re: Mouse on console

On 4/30/05, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> Deboo Geek wrote:
>
> >My mouse works fine under X, as a 2 button mouse. It has a trackball
> >which  doesn't work, whichever mouse I select. IT is a cheap mouse. I
> >have tried using many protocols to make it work under gpm but failed.
> >Is there a way to make it work, atleast as a 2 button mouse on
> >console?
> >
> >Deboo
> >

> I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. The mouse "has a trackball"?
> Is it a mouse, or a trackball device? Perhaps you mean it's a mouse that
> has a ball rather than an optical sensor?
>
> What are the mouse settings in "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"?
>
> Is it USB? Serial? PS/2?
>
> If serial (PS/2), do you get garbage when you type "cat /dev/ttySx"
> (where x=0-3, or "cat /dev/psaux" for PS2) and move the mouse?

It's a Serial mouse attached to Com 1 or ttyS0 and yes, I do get
garbage when moving the mouse on console, doing a cat /dev/ttyS0.

I mean instead of the middle button it has a ball, which you use to
move the page up and down in apps. Srry, it's called the wheel.

Till now I used to use gpmconfig to try making it work on console, but
now running gpmconfig says it's depricated and I should use
dpkg-reconfigure gpm ... I did an apt upgrade a few days go.

I just reconfigured but even doing a /etc/init.d/gpm start gives no
output nor does the mouse cursor show up on console.  Doing a ps
-ef|grep gpm shws nothing either. That means either the (new) gpm
version script is the problem or does it have could it be that the
device file is corrupted or something? How do I find it out? I
remember this happened only after doing an apt upgrade the last time,
a few months ago.