Re: can't get remote X access to work

On Thursday, 03.03.2005 at 12:46 +0100, Bas Wijnen wrote:

> >Here is a question about something I thought should work all by
> >itself, but doesn't.
> >
> >Logging in remotely through ssh and have the programs running on the
> >remote machine display on the local X server.
> >
> >I went into /etc/ssh/ssh_config and set ForwardX11 to yes on the
> >remote machine

No - you need to set it in /etc/ssh/sshd_config (note: sshd, not ssh) on
the remote machine.  Settings in sshd_config affect the ssh server
daemon on that machine.  Settings in ssh_config affect *client sessions
initiated from that machine* (which is not what you want) ...

> >I tried running ssh with the -X option.
>
> That should be enough AFAIK.

In combination with the correct place for the for the server settings,
yes.  The option is "X11Forwarding yes" by the way, in sshd_config.

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org
All email from me is now digitally signed, key from http://www.sungate.co.uk/