Re: can't get remote X access to work

Alexandru Cabuz wrote:
Hello,

Here is a question about something I thought should work all by itself, but
doesn't.

Logging in remotely through ssh and have the programs running on the remote
machine display on the local X server.

I went into /etc/ssh/ssh_config and set ForwardX11 to yes on the remote
machine

I tried running ssh with the -X option.

That should be enough AFAIK.

I told portsentry to not worry about the 6000 port (on the local machine).

X forwarding happens on port 6000 + offset, which usually starts at 10.
 So make it not worry about 6010 instead.  This is the machine with the
X client, so the ssh server.

Only thing that is missing is the X configurations that tells X, on the local
machine, to take in connections. It seems that Debian calls startx with the
--nolisten option by default. How do I turn that off and tell it to listen?

That is not a problem.  ssh X forwarding lets the X connection be sent
to the local host (where you are logged into with ssh), the traffic is
then tunneled through the encrypted connection, and it connects locally
to the X server.  You can see this by the DISPLAY variable, which is set
to localhost:10 (or some higher number).

I looked through the XF86Config-4 config file but did not see anything
useful...

If you want remote connections directly to the X server, you need to be
in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf (I think, could be some other file in that dir).

Bye,
Bas