Re: How stable is SID?

* Rick Friedman:

> Currently, I am running Sarge on my home machine. I am thinking of doing
> a dist-upgrade to SID. I am ready to deal with any problems that may
> crop up. However, I DO have other people in the house who use the
> machine as well. I am wondering if SID is, at least, reasonably stable?

I am in a similar situation. I share a laptop with my girlfriend and it
runs sid. Contrary to other people in this thread I upgrade the whole
system almost daily. I only refrain from upgrading when the system
becomes indipensable to finish important term papers and the like. I
didn't suffer from any serious outages in the last 18 months.

What you still should consider is how your other users can handle an
always evolving system. My girlfriend - not too fond of computers in
general - is regularly irritated about changes of the system. Things
like the recent gnome update (2.4->2.6) that change the user interface
can be quite disturbing for some people. So keep an eye out for major
upgrades of end user applications like desktop environments, web, mail
and office programs (or whatever your users need).

J.
--
Thy lyrics in pop songs seem to describe my life uncannily accurately.
[Agree]   [Disagree]