hotplug stopped assigning device nodes to flash storage devices

I'm using debian testing/unstable.

I have a custom (non uba) built 2.6.9 kernel (using debs source), with udev

A couple of weeks ago it was working and detecting USB removable flash drives and such, and creating the right device nodes.

Since then I installed acpid (a mistake) which broke usb storage badly and caused lots of ep0out errors, removing acpid fixed this, but for some reason I don't get any device nodes assigned when I insert a device.

in my /etc/modules sg, scsi_mod, sd_mod and usb_storage are all loaded.

When I insert a device "dmesg" reports that it would load usb_storage but it is already loaded (as lsmod shows) but no device nodes allocated.

If I don't load usb_storage, then "dmesg" says that sub_storage was loaded successfully but lsmod shows it to NOT be loaded.

I've not updated my kernel since I had it working, and I'm told that hotplug is responsible for assigning the device nodes which would default to /dev/sd?? if udev didn't interfere.

I've rebuilt hotplug from deb source (apt-get -b source) but it seems to be a 2040 release anyway and doesn't improve things.

My udev rules files for cdrom node naming are being followed OK, I'm sure it is a case of usb_storage not doing it's trick.

I've googled like mad and can't see what I could've broke in the last few weeks.

Generally usb is working fine, my playstation dance-mat adaptor plugs in and works right off with no problems.

Sam