Getting xfree86 running

I have been trying different things to get XFree86 running.  The last message I got was:
    xfOpenConsole: command not found

When I try vidtune, I get:
    Error: Can't open display

Again: I have Debian 3.0 running on half of a 40 Gig drive on a Toshiba Satellite A30.  Boot control is lilo and it works fine.  I haven't run Debian for years and I'll be damned if it'll beat me this time.

It would be extremely difficult to get you a copy of the XF86Config-4 file because I cannot a connect to the internet except with WinXp.  I can't print from Bebian, either.  Sorta makes you wonder why I bother, don't it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Stops spam 100% for your email accounts or you get paid. http://www.cashette.com