Re: Compatible VoIP software on Debian

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 10:14 -0500, Ralph Katz wrote:
> On 12/31/2005 03:40 AM, Chris Howie wrote:
> > Ah, I should have mentioned this.  I am specifically looking for something that
> > is *not* Skype, because (a) Skype has no ALSA support and very bad OSS support,
> > making it a chore to use, and (b) it cannot be installed alongside KDE 3.4,
> > which I plan to dist-upgrade to soon (I'm holding back until amarok is
> > installable).
> >

> Perhaps you could use a free client, like kphone, and a free service
> like free world dialup, http://www.freeworlddialup.com/ .
>
> apt-cache search voip  # for more ideas.
>
> I've connected to fwd with kphone, but had old-computer-soundcard issues.

For your end, I would try linphone or kphone since they're both
pre-packaged in Debian. For the people you're talking to who might be
using Windows, any SIP client will work. (Open standards are a wonderful
thing. :) )

Check out this URL for a list of Free clients for various OS's.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Open+Source+VOIP+Software

Alternately, you could try gnomemeeting on your end with MS NetMeeting
for your friends. (If you don't mind subjecting them to the evils of MS
software, that is. :) )

They both use H.323, so you'll get video and voice. H.323 tends to be
much more sensitive to network connections however, so you may get
spotty results running over the Internet. (It was originally used for
direct ISDN connections between video conferencing systems.)

Hope that helps.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837