Re: packages .udeb and packages .deb

Hi

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:29, Gerard Robin wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using Debian but I would like to know if it is possible to install
> the packages .udeb in my box, and if I install ubuntu in an other box,
> can I install the packages .deb in that box ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your reply.
>
> (please, Ccing me the reply that I am not subscriber on the list)
udebs are a special type of package used by the Debian installer.  (The
Ubuntu installer will also use udebs as it is just a modified version of
the Debian installer.)   They are not intended to be installed on a normal
system.

If I read between the lines right, what you really want to know is whether
packages built for Debian can be installed on Ubuntu and vise-versa.

The short answer is it depends.  If the package is a collection of shell
scripts, then it will propably be fine.  If the package is a compiled
program, then it depends on the whether the necessary library versions are
available on the target system.

Mostly you won't need to bother.  Virtually everything packaged for Debian,
is also packaged for Ubuntu, and vice-versa.

HTH
Andrew V.