Re: apt-get update gives failed to fetch error

Hi

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 08:55, Oz wrote:
>  I just installed Debian from
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/etch_d-i/beta1/amd64/iso-c
>d/debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso  and now want to update the list of
> packages because the image has only the basic set of packages. I edited
> the /etc/apt/sources.list file  and here is what it looks like now:
> -----------------------------------------------start------------- #deb
> cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64 Binary-1
> (20051111)]/ etch contrib main
>
>   #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64
> Binary-1 (20051111)]/ etch contrib main

amd64 is not (yet) in the official archive.
http://amd64.debian.net/README.mirrors.html contains a list of mirrors.
(I'm assuming the page is current, I don't run amd64).

>   deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>
>   deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

Note above you installed Etch, which is the the version in
testing/development for the next stable release.  The current stable
release is Sarge.

Googling for sarge install images I found this
https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html
page, which might be useful.

Andrew