Re: Controlling eth0,eth1,... assignment order?

Svante Signell wrote:
With the new way of device creation and module loading (udev, discover
etc) my ethernet modules (3c59x,8139too) are loaded in different order
with kernels 2.6.12 and 2.6.14. For 2.6.14 3c59x is loaded first
corresponding to eth0 and then 8139too corresponding to eth1. With
kernel 2.6.12 they are loaded in reverse order, giving the wrong names
on my interfaces, and the interfaces defined in /etc/network/interfaces
becomes wrong. How to bind modules to eth interface numbers? Any hints
on which of the /etc/modules, /etc/modules.conf etc should be used, and
which are obsolete?

Thanks,

there's a way to deal with this in the debian documentation (but I don't
have it with me right now).

Here's what I do in my laptop for wired and wireless interface:

http://www.lorenzobettini.it/linux/LinuxSonyVaioVGN-S5VP_B

hope this helps
	Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD in Computer Science                            |
|  Dip. Sistemi e Informatica, Univ. di Firenze       |
|  Florence - Italy        (GNU/Linux User # 158233)  |
|  Home Page        : http://www.lorenzobettini.it    |
|  http://music.dsi.unifi.it         XKlaim language  |
|  http://www.purplesucker.com Deep Purple Cover Band |
|  http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite           |