Re: exim4 behaves strange

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 12:01:00PM +0100, Michael Przysucha wrote:
} I have a problem with my exim4 deamon. It is configured to relay with
} SMTP-Auth. Yesterday everything was fine but over night the following
} behaviour started to occur with every message:
[...]
} 2005-12-29 11:53:58 1ErvPv-0000JF-9A Spool file is locked (another process is handling this message)

This is your issue. It looks like it somehow got confused. You should
/etc/init.d/exim4 stop before anything else. Now check ps to see if any
mail-related processes are running. These could be mail readers (pine? it
looks like you sent this message with Opera...) or another exim4 process.
The spool file that is locked may be your own user spool, in which case it
is likely to be a mail reader that got confused. Close down any
mail-related processes you find. Look for a lock file in /var/mail or
/var/spool/exim4/* and delete them if you find them. (This should be safe
since you have no mail-related processes running.) Run exim4 -bp to take a
look at the mail queue. Try running exim4 -qff to process messages in the
queue, and run exim4 -bpc in another terminal as it runs to watch the queue
size (which should diminish). Once the queue run is done, start up exim4
again with /etc/init.d/exim4 start.

[...]
} Thanks in advance,
} Michael Przysucha