Re: How to play these files on Debian (Sarge) (WAS:Re: How can I play avi, wmv, mov videos on a standalone DVD player?)

On Thursday, 29 December 2005 at  1:26:59 -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Chinook wrote:
> >Marc Shapiro wrote:

> >>I'd like to play them on Sarge.  Just today I clicked on a .mov file
> >>and was asked if I wanted to use the default program (gmplayer).  I
> >>said yes, but after it DL'd the file it complained that it could not
> >>find the proper codec (I don't remember, now, which codec it was
> >>looking for). Is there some place to get the proper codecs to make
> >>these work.  If so, where is it?  If not, why give a default player
> >>that can not actually play the file?
> >>

> >You might both look at VLC in your package app, or see
> >http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
>
> I just tried it on the .mov file from above.  The video played just
> fine, but there was no audio at all.  I checked the preferences, made
> sure that audio was enabled and the sound was turned all the way up.
> Still no sound.  I normally do get sound on this box.

I had something similar a couple of days ago, watching a DVD.  vlc has
an 'audio' menu, IIRC, containing mono, stereo and something else. It
was defaulting every time to the something else, and clicking on stereo
switched the sound on.

--
richard