Re: kernel configuration question

Kelly Clowers wrote:
On 12/28/05, Chinook <chinook.nr@tds.net> wrote:
I'm trying to install mkcdrec
(http://mkcdrec.ota.be/project/introduction.html)
and in the instructions it says:

Check current kernel if the following items were compiled into the
kernel. Check file /usr/src/linux/.config :
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y (or m)
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y (or m)
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y (or m)
CONFIG_JOLIET=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096 (or 8192)
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y (or m)

If you have a SCSI CD-ROM check also the following items in
/usr/src/linux/.config:
CONFIG_SCSI=y (or m)
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y (or m)

My DVD is ATAPI so I presume the SCSI is not applicable.

Anyway, in /usr/src I had nothing so I installed kernel-source-2.4.27
and now have a bz2 archive there.  In previewing the archive though, I
see no /linux/.config :-P

Will someone please tell me how I can verify the settings.  This is the
only thing I've found to create a full bootable DVD clone of my system.
  If you perhaps know better, please point me in the right direction :-)

Thank you for any guidance,
Lee C

I think the config for your kernel should be under /boot/
eg /boot/config-2.6.12-1-686

Kelly

Thank you Kelly

I found them all set appropriately so that's a relief :-)

If I had asked sooner I would not have bothered to download that kernel source, but then I'd have been leaning too hard on you-all and not doing my research. I know - learn as you go, but I ain't got that many years left as they say :-) I guess I'm just anxious to get back to my ObjC development.

Thanks again for all your help,
Lee C
"Wonder rather than doubt is the root of knowledge."-- Abraham Joshua Heschel

PS: I solved that k3b dvd issue by not inserting a blank dvd until asked and going the image (DAO) route. I"m not ready to trust it for backup yet though.