Re: Why does Debian default to Gnome?

"Edward C. Jones" <edcjones@comcast.net> writes:

> Why does Debian default to gnome? When I install a recent "testing",

I believe GNOME sprang up partially in response to KDE using Qt, which
had a non-free license at the time.  Debian is heavily influenced by
notions of software freedom, and even though qt is now available under
a free license, GNOME became the default desktop environment of free
software ideologues (being a GNU project probably doesn't hurt there,
either), while KDE depended on a proprietary library.  But they're
both free software desktops; if it defaulted to KDE, someone would be
asking why the default was that.  Debian seems somewhat unusual in
that both appear to be packaged on equal-footing, although it takes an
extra step to get KDE coming up instead of GNOME.

> configurable. Is there a gnome-like theme for kde? Are there hidden
> configuration options for gnome (in conf files, etc.)? Sample
> question: how do I make windows "snap to" each other in gnome?

GNOME gets criticized for confusing simplicity of interface with
simply making features unavailable, KDE gets criticized for a
cluttered interface and being too Windows-like.  (Personally, I don't
find KDE to be very Windows-like at all, except inasmuch as Windows
doesn't expect you to have to drop down to editing text-based
configuration files, so errs on the side of making lots of things
configurable through a GUI.)  It's a matter of taste; if you like KDE,
use it.  If you like GNOME, use it.

Holding down the shift key while moving a window will get you some
snap-functionality under GNOME.