Re: failing to connect with PPP in austria

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 12:34:38PM +0100, dawizz wrote:
> Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:34:38 +0100
> From: dawizz <wwwillem@zonnet.nl>
> Subject: Re: failing to connect with PPP in austria
>
> I'm having a similar issue with kppp and pppd under sarge...
> maybe both issues have the same origin??
> I hope an other debian/kde user can provide us the correct answers.
>
> At first I found out that the actual owner of kppp, e.g. the user of the dail
> up connection,  must be set using the folowing:
>
> # This removes the kppp symbolic link
> # that you are calling to when you run kppp from the menu.
> rm /usr/bin/kppp
> -->> acualy now my kppp is not working
>
> # Now use the link command (ln) to create a fresh link to the real KPPP
> # located in /usr/sbin
> ln -s /usr/sbin/kppp /usr/bin/kppp
> -->> seems to not work properly
>
> # Finally, change the permissions of the real KPPP by typing
> chmod 1001 /usr/bin/kppp
> -->> looks like this does the job, kppp can be used by user 1001
>
> We do get a connection with the provider by dailing in, but then
> kppp wants to 'connect' to pppd. pppd is installed, and works fine, but
> with user root! Can anyone help us out, I have the following questions:

  Are you member of dip and dialout groups? By default, /usr/sbin/pppd
is suid root and executable only by members of dip group. Not sure about
kppp, (don't have kde installed), but it may be not quite correct to
make /usr/sbin/kppp executable by everybody, if it has suid bit set.

 Regards,
 Alexei Chetroi

--
Smile... Tomorrow will be worse. (c) Murphy's Law