Re: failing to connect with PPP in austria

Hi,

I'm having a similar issue with kppp and pppd under sarge...
maybe both issues have the same origin??
I hope an other debian/kde user can provide us the correct answers.

At first I found out that the actual owner of kppp, e.g. the user of the dail
up connection,  must be set using the folowing:

# This removes the kppp symbolic link
# that you are calling to when you run kppp from the menu.
rm /usr/bin/kppp
-->> acualy now my kppp is not working

# Now use the link command (ln) to create a fresh link to the real KPPP
# located in /usr/sbin
ln -s /usr/sbin/kppp /usr/bin/kppp
-->> seems to not work properly

# Finally, change the permissions of the real KPPP by typing
chmod 1001 /usr/bin/kppp
-->> looks like this does the job, kppp can be used by user 1001

BUT....     :-(
We do get a connection with the provider by dailing in, but then
kppp wants to 'connect' to pppd. pppd is installed, and works fine, but
with user root! Can anyone help us out, I have the following questions:

Is the approach of setting ownership the correct one?
As in:
rm /usr/bin/kppp
ln -s /usr/sbin/kppp /usr/bin/kppp
chmod 1001 /usr/bin/kppp

Because only the last command seems to have any positive effect.

And should this be done for pppd to?? Because the issue Alexei describes
gives me the idea that maybe a same issue is with my pppd.

Tx in advance, with kind regards, Willem.