Why does Debian install Exim4?

I've just installed another Debian Stable and I want to know why on earth the Debian maintainers believe it acceptable to just go ahead and install Exim4 without asking, forcing me to go and uninstall it afterwards....

I'd like there to be a minimal install option but I can't see it, the closest I've found is the manually selecting packages and then just not installing any. I'm very used to Gentoo which gives full control over such stuff and I've been making the case for Debian at work, I'd really love to be able to control this a bit better.

Really, I've been a bit spoilt by Gentoo's control I guess, it's just that especially on a server, you don't want anything on it that isn't definitely supposed to be there.

Anybody got any input on this?