If some applications need to use the lpr command you may find you need to configure cupsys-bsd to run as a server (on the cupsd machine). Just run dpkg-reconfigure cupsys-bsd and answer 'Yes' to sort that out.

From: Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org>

Fresh install of Sarge on a laptop with only cupsys-client.
Do I need to also run cupsd server?  I've always run servers and
clients so never run into this problem before:

moseley@laptop:~$ lpstat  -v
lpstat: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused

I can specify a machine that is running cupsd:

moseley@laptop:~$ lpstat  -h bumby -v
device for 4ML: canon:/dev/lp0
device for AdobePDF: ipp://PowerMac.local/printers/AdobePDF
device for Stylus_Photo_870_Gutenprint: ipp://PowerMac.local/printers/Stylus_Photo_870_Gutenprint

How do I get applications to see those printers?  For example, firefox
doesn't display any of those printers.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org