Using LaTeX and references (was: Re: sharing a bibliography)

On Dec 23 2005, Daniel Webb wrote:
> Ah, well, I'm not sure.  I have always used it with Latex/Bibtex.
> You'll notice in the Jabref window where a reference is edited, there
> is a "bibtexkey" field.  Supposing the bibtexkey for an article is
> "bob:95:pumpkin".  Within a Latex document, I just put
> \cite{bob:95:pumpkin} and it inserts a citation, then adds a perfect
> entry into the references.  For a large document (like a
> dissertation), this is wonderful.

Have you already played with Emacs + AUCTeX + RefTeX? RefTeX is amazing
in what it allows you to do.

In fact, I can't recommend AUCTeX enough for people that use LaTeX. It
is a superb mode that is highly recommended for editing of large LaTeX
documents. Way much better than the stock LaTeX mode provided by Emacs.

And for those that want a little bit more of WYSIWYG, you can also try
to use preview-latex with AUCTeX.

Of course, everything is already packaged in the Debian repository.

> Latex is a huge learning investment, but if you write a lot, or are
> planning on writing something very large, like a dissertation, I think
> it's worth it.

I agree 100%.

Regards, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/