Re: sharing a bibliography

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:02:44AM +0000, michael wrote:

> Sorry for not being clear. I want a place to store my refs, that I can
> access (ie both read the refs but also cut'n'paste into Linux/OpenOffice
> and Windoze/Word) from several machines (if that means copying the
> database about that is okay). also like to be able to save my notes
> alongside the author/title/journal etc.
>
> Now looking at Jabref - trying to work out if you can very easily copy
> refs into OpenOffice?

Ah, well, I'm not sure.  I have always used it with Latex/Bibtex.  You'll
notice in the Jabref window where a reference is edited, there is a
"bibtexkey" field.  Supposing the bibtexkey for an article is
"bob:95:pumpkin".  Within a Latex document, I just put \cite{bob:95:pumpkin}
and it inserts a citation, then adds a perfect entry into the references.  For
a large document (like a dissertation), this is wonderful.

Latex is a huge learning investment, but if you write a lot, or are planning
on writing something very large, like a dissertation, I think it's worth it.
Especially if you typeset mathematics, Latex makes Word and Openoffice look
like toys, and we're talking about a program the basis of which has been
around since before Windows or Linux existed.  There are warts and annoyances,
though.

Looking at Jabref now, it looks to me like the small display window at the
bottom would be good for cut-and-pasting.  Let us know how it works.