Internet Connection

 Hi There,

I had to reinstall Debian from my cd-rom.  In the earlier install (from the same cd-rom), I could connect to the Internet through my Windows XP laptop with no problem.  They are connected by a Cat5 Crossover cable between their Ethernet cards.  Now, after the reinstall, I cannot connect to the outside world from my Debian system.  I pinged each system from the other and the Ethernet connection is good.  I tried to use apt-get update and the error message said that apt could not resolve the name of the destination computer to get the updates.  I connected to the destination computer with the laptop easily so it is there and running.

I ran apt-setup as root and it did not work.  I get through the connection type (using http), the mirror country (US), get to the mirror selection (cudlug.cudenver.edu or debian.uchicago.edu), get to the proxy screen (leave blank like I used to do), and the next page has an error that says “Failed to fetch” then a paragraph that I do not understand (I’m still a newbie) but the final line says that “some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.”

I ran the Home/Small Office Network Wizard on Windows like I did the first time, but this time it made no difference.

Obviously, I did something seriously wrong during the install that I cannot seem to fix.  Do any of you have ideas as to what I can do to fix this connection?  Any assistance you can give me will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Take care,

Ed

.