Re: Help with Linux selection please?

Aaron Stromas wrote:
On 12/20/05, *Kent West* <westk@acu.edu <mailto:westk@acu.edu>> wrote:

    hendrik@topoi.pooq.com <mailto:hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:27:27PM -0300, Gabriel wrote:
    >

    >>Mike McCarty wrote:
    >>

    >>>Never take the advice of people who use spellings like
    >>>"kewel", "n33t", and abbreviate "you" to "u", etc.
    >>>

    >>Could you please explain me why? Just to know
    >>And what does kewel means? :-P
    >>am I very ignorant?
    >>

    >No.  They are.

    It seems to me that some of you folks are being a bit too harsh on
    users
    of such spellings. I've known plenty of "kids"[1] who speak leet
    who are
    [ otherwise ;-) ] very smart. "Don't judge a book by it's cover";
    "Don't
    stereotype"; etc, and all that ....

    Footnote:
    1. I've also known adults who have dabbled in leet, who are quite
    sharp.

choosing to communicate in an incomprehensible way on the wide public forum doesn't strike me as particularly smart. -a

Ahem, no contention on my thread please :-) Before you think "who does this old fart think he is," I saw the original reply as a bit of levity - something we can all use in today's world. Even if I had considered it otherwise, I would have just ignored it - life's a catch-22 from the naivety of youth to the frailty of age. I do understand the irritation - some still school age members of the family think geometry is an antiquated subject :-(

All in all I'm impressed by this list. My original post was "intended" to solicit practical comments relative to how I might satisfy both extremes of OS usage with one Linux distribution . The long and short is, of course, build it yourself, but I was not sure where to start from to avoid the "reinventing the wheel" steps. Your comments were very helpful in my deciding that the best starting point (for me) is Debian.

I had posted the query on several boards, as much to (personally) gage the depth and quality of the respective communities as to solicit views. Now you're probably thinking "but of course - we're the cream of the crop," and that is generally my take :-)

There is, as you know, a wealth of information on the Debian site and I'm proceeding well (and carefully) through it before I pop in the basic system install CD I burned. That is, in between chores for "she who must be obeyed."
Best to all, and may your holidays be happy and fruitful.
Lee C
"The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese." -- Willie Nelson