Re: Question on backups using rsync

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 23:01, Alvin Oga wrote:
<snip>
> automated backup is worthless for that precise reason about corrupted main
> systems and there's hundreds of reasons/problems that causes the
> main system or backup system to have bad data rendering either or both
> worthless
>
> backups should be saved not mirrored ... and it's NOT the same thing

Yes, I agree. This is why I take advantage of rsync always unlinking the files
before it updates them, which means I can simply rotate the backups, but
rather than copying, I just copy the hardlinks.

Essentially it becomes a poor man's revision control system, allowing me to go
to any particular day or month.

Thus, I get the convenience of the automated backup, plus the certainty that
'bad things' on the client doesn't result in 'worse things' on the backup
server.

This, however, does translate in your partition eventually having to handle
_millions_ of files, and it is ideal to back this mess up from time to time,
to guard from corruption. (Remember that although a file may exist in 1000
different places, it's still the _same_ file if only hardlinks are used, and
is thus succeptable to deliberate or random failures)