Re: reply-to munging

Felix Miata wrote:
Jon Dowland wrote:
On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 10:11:43PM -0300, Gabriel wrote:

And please, I know sometimes happens, but send the replys to the list.
That's why we all should add a reply-to field on the messages we send
to the list. (although I forgot to do this with this message :-P)

No, we shouldn't :) See archives for various long arguments on the
subject of Reply-To: munging. The rationale behind not doing so (as
applied by this list) is available at
<http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html>.

That's only one admin's opinion. I find the opposite superior:
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/reply-to-useful.html

This is a public discussion list, not a public questions/private answers
list. You can't have a public discussion when people make their replies
private.

The only arguments I've seen seem to be either-or. I've not seen an
argument made for "both". ISTM that if someone really wants to
use a Reply-to: field specifying one different from that he originates,
there should be no problem with simply adding the list address to
that field. This seems to be a pretty small minority. If no Reply-to:
field exists, then I see no issue with adding one with the list
address and the originators addresses in it. Yes, we'd all get two
copies of something that was a reply to what we originated.

For myself, I completely agree with the reply-to-useful.html argument,
but I seem to be in the minority here.

Anyway, let's not have a flame war.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.