popt Isn't Quite Right

	I am trying to install some software that needs the popt
libraries.  A poster on another list said I needed popt-dev which I
found and installed with no change in the results.  This system has
had libpopt0 all along and got popt-dev last night with no effect.  A
little piece of the configure log for that software reads as follows:

configure:21695: checking for main in -lpopt
configure:21719: g++ -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.cc -lpopt   >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpopt
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:21725: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */

	I'm fresh out of popt's and still getting that fatal error.
This is a sarge distribution.
Any ideas?

	Thank you very much.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK