Re: kde apt problem

Adam Hardy on 18/12/05 20:13, wrote:
Peter Nuttall on 18/12/05 18:15, wrote:

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 05:45:28PM +0000, Adam Hardy wrote:

I can't get kde. There seems to be a problem with the package dependencies.

I had a bit of fun trying to track down the problem but couldn't figure it out. Below is the output.

Q: is there a KDE lite that I can install rather than the huge KDE metapackage?

adam@gondor:~$ sudo apt-get install kde
 kde: Depends: kde-amusements but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kdeaddons but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
adam@gondor:~$ sudo apt-get install kde-amusements
 kde-amusements: Depends: kdeedu but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
adam@gondor:~$ sudo apt-get install kdeedu
kdeedu: Depends: kig (>= 4:3.4.2-2.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
adam@gondor:~$ sudo apt-get install kig
kig: Depends: libboost-python1.33.0 (>= 1.33.0-1) but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
adam@gondor:~$ sudo apt-get install libboost-python
E: Couldn't find package libboost-python

this thread, which happened about an hour or so ago, might help you:

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I read that thread already and fortunately my disks are not full, I ran apt-get clean and apt-get update too. Makes no difference.

Whoops, I see you've moved on from out-of-disk space errors on that thread. I guess I'm hit by the same bug.

If I could install a cut-down version of KDE without the add-ons, that would do me fine, just enough to run a browser. Is there a way of installing that?