kde apt problem

I can't get kde. There seems to be a problem with the package dependencies.

I had a bit of fun trying to track down the problem but couldn't figure it out. Below is the output.

Q: is there a KDE lite that I can install rather than the huge KDE metapackage?

adam@gondor:~$ sudo apt-get install kde
  kde: Depends: kde-amusements but it is not going to be installed
       Depends: kdeaddons but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
adam@gondor:~$ sudo apt-get install kde-amusements
  kde-amusements: Depends: kdeedu but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
adam@gondor:~$ sudo apt-get install kdeedu
  kdeedu: Depends: kig (>= 4:3.4.2-2.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
adam@gondor:~$ sudo apt-get install kig
kig: Depends: libboost-python1.33.0 (>= 1.33.0-1) but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
adam@gondor:~$ sudo apt-get install libboost-python
E: Couldn't find package libboost-python