Re: virtual machines

Alexander Schmehl wrote:
Hi!

* Rakotomandimby Mihamina <mihamina.rakotomandimby@etu.univ-orleans.fr> [051218 01:25]:

I have a test machine, on wich I use to package and test packages.
I package both for Fedora and for Debian.
For the moment, I use multiboot.

But I am tired to reboot each time I want to switch distribution.
I intend to buy some amount of RAM and then try to use virtual
machine. [..]

Why so complicated?  As long as you don't package Hardware-Drivers /
Kernel-Packages, you should be able to just work fine with chroot.

Mount the other operating systems partition somewhere, and just run
"chroot /mnt/my/other/linux/system", and voila!  There you are.

You might want to take a look at dchroot, to use it with a bit more
comfort.

No need to reboot, no need for virtual machines.

I wanted to backup mysql on one partition and use that backup on another partition, the running one.

So I chrooted into the partition whose mysql I wanted to backup, but mysql complained that it could not do it because of the port not being functional.

That was the end of the chroot experiment and I rebooted instead.