Re: apt-get upgrade - kernel-image

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 04:40:08PM +0100, Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:
> Hi,
> not sure this is a problem but I'll like to check anyway.
>
> When doing apt-get upgrade the only package listed for upgrade is the
> kernel image. this is working fine and I'm not sure what the upgrade will
> do.
>
> The sources list say "stable". I got a few packages from unstable, but apt
> is configured to default "stable".
>
> Why will apt upgrade the kernel?
>
> The installed ver. is ii  kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386       2.6.8-16
> and the same version no. is the one to upgrade.
>
> Can I instead "hold" the kernel-image?

If you do let the upgrade go through, and you use lilo to boot,
remember to update lilo.conf and *rerun lilo* before you reboot,
otherwise the boot process eill not be able to find the new kernel and
the old one will be gone.

I had this problem once, when aptitude decided to replace a kernel.
It doesn't seem to happen when I installed a kernel of a comletely
different verison number (like 2.6.7 to 2.6.8 --  in that case I just
get both kernels.  But it did once decide to replace a kernel ... In
that case rerunning lilo is necessary.

-- hendrik