Re: KPPP won't go on the internet

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 07:20 am, LMa wrote:
----> Hello everyone,
---->
----> I'm wishing to report a problem with KPPP 2.2.0 (with KDE 3.3.2 under
----> Debian GNU Linux 3.1 "Sarge", kernel 2.4.27) which I cannot use
 properly ----> as a normal user.
---->
----> I managed to solve all other problems (I "come from" Knoppix 3.4 and I
----> couldn't believe there was so much to configure under Debian just to
 get ----> KPPP to show up to me as a normal user!) and now my last problem
 is: I ----> just can't get onto the internet with KPPP.
----> Even though I tried to copy as many settings from Knoppix 3.4 (which
----> altogether worked) as possible to solve all other problems, I'm afraid
----> with this last problem it was not enough - and I don't know what to do
 next. ---->
---->
----> Here are the messages I get :
<snip>

I am not certain that this will be of help. I don't use KPPP on this machine
because I can't configure it to work with my USB to Serial cable attached to
my external modem.

During the install of Sarge, I configured my connection and now only type
<pon> in a terminal after allowing my user to be added to <dip> permissions.
I assume that you are on dial-up? As I am. I have never had any problem with
connection.

I altered only one thing in my </etc/ppp/options> file:-

mtu 576

This to make my connection speed work faster and much better.

I'm not certain that if, as root you might not be able to type <#
dpkg-reconfigure ppp> that you might not be able to grab it that way, and
connect using <pon>

Hope this helps
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524