KPPP won't go on the internet

Hello everyone,

I'm wishing to report a problem with KPPP 2.2.0 (with KDE 3.3.2 under Debian GNU Linux 3.1 "Sarge", kernel 2.4.27) which I cannot use properly as a normal user.

I managed to solve all other problems (I "come from" Knoppix 3.4 and I couldn't believe there was so much to configure under Debian just to get KPPP to show up to me as a normal user!) and now my last problem is: I just can't get onto the internet with KPPP. Even though I tried to copy as many settings from Knoppix 3.4 (which altogether worked) as possible to solve all other problems, I'm afraid with this last problem it was not enough - and I don't know what to do next.

Here are the messages I get :

from the connection window:
(beginning)
OK

OK

CONNECT 52000/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS
(end)

from the "Unexpected ending of pppd" window:
Code de retour : 1 (it's French - I am French - it means "Return (or exit?) code")

and here the actual content of the original logfile:
(beginning)
Dec 8 23:43:28 localhost pppd[1774]: The remote system is required to authenticate itself Dec 8 23:43:28 localhost pppd[1774]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so. Dec 8 23:43:28 localhost pppd[1774]: (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)
(end)

-----------------

And once I tried another setting (which I had in Knoppix 3.4): in "pppd (personalized) arguments": "noauth" (with KPPP set GID)
I then got:

from the connection window:
(beginning)
OK

OK

CONNECT 52000/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS
(end)

from the "Unexpected ending of pppd" window:
Code de retour : 2

and as actual content of the original logfile:
(beginning)
Dec  1 23:12:37 localhost pppd[1760]: Exit.
(end)

------------

And with a final setting still "pppd (personalized) arguments": "noauth" but with KPPP set UID (OK, that's the original Debian setting!)
I get:

from the connection window:
(beginning)
OK

OK

CONNECT 52000/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS
(end)

from the "Unexpected ending of pppd" window:
Code de retour : 2

and as actual content of the original logfile:
(beginning)
Dec 9 00:19:22 localhost pppd[2282]: using the noauth option requires root privilege
(end)

This is the same problem with all of the five ISP's I've tried so far (and they all work under Knoppix)

I hope you can make something out of that. I'm also ready to let you the groups my user belongs to if that's of any help.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Ludovic M.