Re: Getting the Euro symbol on to my keyboard

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 08:22:19AM +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I want to get the ability to generate the Euro symbol from my keyboard.  The
> symbol itself is etched in to the "4" key (on the bottom right).
>
> I found this
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-euro-support/ch-configure.en.html
>
> which is (a probably somewhat old) howto on adding the symbol.
>
> Apart from the fact that is assumes that you should use 'AltGr e' for the
> symbol (it points to a non existant EU document), I fall at the first hurdle,
> because it suggests running dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales and selecting your
> locale with the @euro after it.
>
> en_GB (being a UK resident) is what I want to set, but there is no @euro
> option available.
>
> So whereto now?
> --
Cheat - use the Irish keyboard layout. You want 8059-15 anyway.
You _can_ hand hack the keyboard mappings: I seem to recall
that the authors of the Spanish package to hack the Euro onto
Spanish keyboards had details. UTF-8 will also do it.
[Emacs under X displays ¤ as a Euro and alt-gr c as a ¢ but will
also still display $ and £]

I think this may answer it?

Andy [who just changed to UTF-8 to check it :) ]