Re: screen resolution in GUI

David R. Litwin wrote on Dec, 16:
> > I keep trying to get Debian to load a GUI to 1280X1024 resolution.  I run
> > the install and select the correct driver for my video card.  Then when it
> > asks about my monitor I select the medium option and select 1280X1024 @ 75.
> > I know this resolution is supported for this monitor but I continue to get
> > to the GUI and only supports 800X600 and 640X480 are available.  Any
> > suggestions on how to fix this?

I had, have, exactly the same problem. I must admit the problem still baffles
me but is half-solved now, thanks to Knoppix.

Problem before: a Fujitsu laptop with an LCD capable of 800x600, connected to
a Samsung monitor capable of 1024x768. No matter how much I tweaked
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 before that), the resolution was
always set to 800x600.

Half-solution now: I booted with a Knoppix Live CD, which created an
XF86Config-4 with a lot of fancy modelines, and X was started with 1024x768.
I overwrote my xorg.conf with Knoppix-generated XF86Config-4, rebooted with
Debian and, voilà, 1024x768 resolution.

The half-problem now: the screen is not completely used: 1.5 cm vertical black
stripes on each side. I tried to lower the default color depth, from 16 to 8,
but then the screen went black when X was restarted. I got the impression that
the modelines would have to be different for a different color depth, and
Knoppix seemed to have detected the right ones for color depth 16.

I hope this helps somehow
Paulo