Re: ext3 trouble

On Friday 16 December 2005 13:20, Mike McCarty wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> A slim possibility is that you have acpi enabled on an nforce2
>> chipset. If thats the case, either shut it off, or go upgrade the
>> bios to the latest as that fixed some other, non-disk related
>> problems that several of us have had with that chipset.
>
>I subscribe to three email echoes about Linux, and I see a
>recurrent theme: mysterious errors, solved by booting with
>ACPI turned off.
>
>ISTM that either: Linux just doesn't properly support ACPI, or
>BIOS implementors just don't know how to get it right.
>
>Either way (and I don't care which) perhaps the default boot
>should be with ACPI turned off, and add an option to turn it
>on.
>
>I had several mysterious problems with my machine until I
>put "acpi=off" into my grub.conf.
>
>Stock Windows XP has no problems with the ACPI on my machine.
>
>Mike

This is I suspect because the windows folks have access to the nforceX
chipset data, and can make it do anything they want.  The bios folks
may have access to it also, but the biostar bios definitely needs to
be the latest for that board else odd things like ntpd don't work.  No
errors reported, mainly because ntpd is drain bamaged and suffers from
laryngitis to boot.

The FOSS folks don't have access to that data about these chips and
what the coders working on it know was probably obtained from bus
analyser traces.  I think, considering the complexity of the chips,
that the folks who reverse engineered the nforceX drivers are at least
2.5-3.0 star geniuses since it works so well once the bios sets it up
correctly.

--
Cheers, Gene
People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should use this