touchpad busted on 2.6 Dell Insp 4k

Does anyone else find touchpad support to be broken using Debian's 2.6
kernels?  I know about psmouse.proto=imps, but I'm really getting
quite tired of it.  It doesn't seem to work on Debian kernels 2.6.8
and 2.6.14, and I wonder if I just hacked the touchpad driver in my
2.6.11.1 to Work For Me.

I'm using a Dull Insp 4k, and the mouse tends to have trouble
"zeropointing"; so it has a continual need to move in one direction or
another.  Besides that, click+drag is broken.  I really don't care
about palm detection or any of this, I would really like to be able to
make use of my window system, though.

Please Cc me, thanks.

--
Clear skies,