Re: Where does LVM store its data?

On 13/12/05, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 01:25:09PM +0000, Dick Davies wrote:

> > As far as I can tell, It's stored in the PVs themselves
> > (when I boot ubuntu it finds all my Debian LVs, for example) .
>
> Without, I suppose, reading all your partitions and seeing it there
> are files in /etc/lvm.

My root filesystem is an LVM LV, so yeah, that's a pretty safe assumption :)

> But I suppose that brings up another question -- is it possible to
> remote-mount a PV from another machine (perhaps with NFS??) and
> get that subsumed under LVM too?  My guess is NO.  Not that I'm planning
> to do that...  Remote-mounting a LV shouldn't be any trouble, of course.

If you can export raw devices then that should be doable - that's probably
where a SAN starts to come in, but I'm sure there are open source alternatives
 - http://www.drbd.org/ for instance.

http://number9.hellooperator.net/