panel appears at the top of the screen (not at the bottom)

In a Debian etch system I want only one panel (version 2.10.2) in a
Gnome-session (with sawfish) and I want it at the bottom of the
screen.
The Panel Properties dialog shows "Bottom" for the Orientation.
But everytime I start the session, the panel is shown at the top of
the screen and I have to drag it to the bottom.

Does anyone know how to circumvent this "feature"?

--
  Dieter Faulbaum           o_\      o/  \    o\/_/_,\   o|       \