Re: start-stop-daemon.... for the love of GOD! Why?

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 03:32:57PM -0700, Mike wrote:

> normally you just have a set of source functions library like
> /etc/init.d/functions or some other path that you use for your init
> scripts. Debian has decided to daomonize it with this start-stop-daemon
> thing they made up. I guess I could create my own functions file and go
> through all of that but I figured when in rome...

Not exactly sure what you mean by "has decided to daomonize it".  Just
because it's called start-stop-daemon doesn't mean it's running as a
daemon itself -- if that's what you meant.  It's just a tool that takes
care of a number of common tasks around starting and stopping daemon
processes, like checking whether the daemon is already running, doing
some sanity checks before killing it, UID switching, etc.  Other
distros have decided to stick similar functionality into some library
of shell functions you have to source.  What the heck?  If you don't
like start-stop-daemon, nothing is forcing you to use it in your own
init scripts...

What we perceive as "normal" largely depends on what we've become used
to.  It's all relative.  If you had started with debian, and would
later be switching to some other distro, you'd probably complain
"What's all this mess of shell functions here!?  Debian has a nice and
simple binary for all that...!", wouldn't you? ;)

Just take it easy :)

Almut