Re: tools Re: Slightly OT: Comments, ideas, or suggestions for improving websites

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 08:09:57AM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya hendrik
>
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
>
> > I've never been able fo figure out what webmin does in sufficient
> > detail to enable me to use it.
>
> i know webmin is broken in terms of creating the correct
> config files ... ( or good enuff for some .. but not
> the silly boat i want )
>
> >   that link to documentation -- documentation that fills you
> >       into the bigger picture, rather that just the
> >       out-of-context microprose most help systems
> >       provide.
>
> tough to do

I know.

> >   that enable you to learn what's going on under the hood
> >       without forcing you to.
>
> tough to teach by docs...
> 	- teaching by example is okay i suppose
>
> 	- "teaching what's under the hood" will take decades even
> 	if you're a speed reader and a genious with iq over 120

I know.  Writing that kind of documentation is hard.  It takes
many of the same skills as are needed for writing the code, and
others as well.  Even if you're a speed reader, speed writer,
and a genius.

And after it's ween written, it's hard to navigate through a world
of web pages and other stuff to find the bit you need.

> >   that tell you which configuration files they are going
> >       to modify/create/delete and why
>
> that's where most gui tools screw up big time
> in modifying/merging/updating old and new changes
> along with user modified changes
>
> >   that read your configuration files and explain them to you.
>
> bedtime story :-)
>
> the kernel config gui ain't too bad .. ( simple )
> 	- it tells yo a little about the option
> 	- it tells you what to select if you donno
> 	- it talls you it can break things if you donno what
> 	you're doing

I know.  The kernel config gui is one of the bright lights
in a bleak landscape.

-- hendrik

> 	- the kernel gui sucks ... if you tell it to
> 	skip isdn or flash mem stuff... it insists on popping up
> 	all the isdn stuff just to make you click away
>
> 	( it needs to be context sensitve )
>
> > Of course that would all be easier if there were to be
> > a uniform file format for configuration files.  And that
> > might be possible if there were a uniform semantics.
>
> it looks like rss, css, and html style is taking over
> and its not much better than ole fashin man pages
>
> > I don't think anyone has yet formulated a workable semantic
> > framework for configuration.  Or have I missed something important?
>
> nope ... its on the horizon

Is it even that close?