Re: RAR under linux: any alternative?

On 11:49, Sun 11 Dec 05, John Hasler wrote:
> Gnu_Raiz writes:
> > This is one program that I believe is worth buying the license for. This
> > is especially true if you have any windows machine's around. If you use
> > Usenet for any amount of time you will find that this program is a must
> > have.
>
> Interesting.  I've been on Usenet for twenty years and I have not felt any
> need for that program.
>
> > It's kind of like needing Lame, or Mplayer nowadays, yes it's non free,
> > but you really do need it.
>
> Mplayer is licensed under the GPL.
> --
> John Hasler

Luke, Luke come to the dark side Luke! I think it is strange
that when a person mentions Usenet all they think about is
the text groups.

It's the other left folks, the alt.binaries side that use's
rar files. Yes their is plenty of uses without copyright
infringement. If your into video and working on a project
and someone asks for a sample if you use zip, or tar they
will probably laugh at you. How else are you going to get a
uniform file size of say 15mb each in your sample if you
don't use rar?

Gnu_Raiz