Re: Kernel 2.6.14-2-k7 and Nforce2 audio problems

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 12:56:34PM -0600, Jacob S wrote:
> Howdy list,
>
> I recently apt-get installed linux-image-2.6.14-2-k7 so that I would
> have a recent enough kernel for udev (running Debian Unstable). Yes,
> I'm just now trying to take the plunge and upgrade to udev. But before
> I could start learning udev, I found the 2.6.14 kernel isn't loading
> the drivers for my sound card properly.
>
> The sound card is part of the motherboard, which uses an Nforce2
> chipset. In the 2.6.9 kernel I had been running, the Nforce2 audio is
> supported by the snd_intel8x0 module. But when hotplug tries to load
> the snd_intel8x0 module at boot time or I try to modprobe it manually,
> I get these errors[0]. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I
> have other snd_ modules loaded or not (such as snd_ac97_codec).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to fix this, or is this a
> bug in the 2.6.14 kernel?

My mother board uses an nForce2 chipset and nVidia GeForce 4 MX
graphics. I am using udev .076 with a 2.6.14-1-k7 kernel installed from
linux-image-2.6.14-1-k7_2.6.14-2_i386.deb.

Sound works; modules load at boottime. nVidia graphics driver 7174
works. I've had a few odd X crashes, but I've also had X
crashes with all of the 2.6 kernels.

If you want to try the earlier kernel, you can download it from
http://snapshot.debian.net/

--
Jerome