Re: XKB problem with x-terminal

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 09:34:26PM +0100, Almut Behrens wrote:
> (okay, took me while to reply, but just in case you haven't figured it
> out yourself in the meantime...)

Hi,

No, I still haven't figured it out totally, even though I have been
playing around with xkbcomp and its different options :)

> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 02:16:09PM +0200, Simo Kauppi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a way to compile keyboard definitions for X and save them
> > somewhere, where XServer can read them, when it starts?
> >
> The easiest way to create a compiled keymap is probably to extract
> it from a running X server (on a machine which has xbase-clients
> installed, and is running the desired xkb setup):
>
> $ xkbcomp -xkm :0 keymap.xkm
> Then, simply transfer the resulting keymap.xkm to your thinclient,
> where you can make the X server load it upon startup using the option
> "-xkbmap keymap.xkm".

Thanks a lot, I hadn't figured this one out. Unfortunately, if I start X
with -xkbmap keymap.xkm, it says it doesn't like it!

If I start X with -xkbdb keymap.xkm, it doesn't complain, but the
keyboard doesn't behave properly :(

> Another way would be to generate a specific keymap configuration from
> options like you have in Xorg.conf.  For example, I have in my section
> "InputDevice"
>     Option      "XkbRules"  "xfree86"
>     Option      "XkbModel"  "pc105"
>     Option      "XkbLayout" "de"
>
> This would translate into the following commandline:
>
> $ setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model pc105 -layout de -print | xkbcomp -xkm -w 3 - keymap.xkm
>
> The part before the pipe generates an "xkb config file", like this
>
> xkb_keymap {
>         xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwertz)"       };
>         xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
>         xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
>         xkb_symbols   { include "pc/pc(pc105)+pc/de"    };
>         xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"     };
> };

This is the one I have been able to figure out :) The includes are
actually the files in the xkb/ directory for the five different
modules for the xkb configuration.

The trouble with this was, that I got a lot of warnings, but -w 3 doesn't
show them, so I believe that the compiled file should be OK. However, if
I load the file with -xkbdb, the keyboard doesn't behave correctly.

> which essentially contains parameterized include statements for
> individual xkb files, according to what has been determined via the
> rules.  This is then fed into xkbcomp to be compiled into keymap.xkm
> (the -w 3 is just to reduce the warnings to a sensible level...).
>
> Cheers,
> Almut

Thanks a lot Almut! If you know any other tricks I could try, please let
me know...

Now that I have a proper keymap.xkm, I should figure out why it doesn't
work.

Simo
--
:r ~/.signature