Re: Question: Maximum number of directories? OT question...

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 11:46:14PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 009301c5f9f1$b4654f20$6400a8c0@slocal>,
> Gerorge Reece-Howe <molehill@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> >> "Jochen Schulz" <ml@well-adjusted.de>
> >
> >>You can see that / and /srv are ext3 and /var and /home are xfs. I
> >>chose xfs for these because they contain directories with a lot of
> >>files (the already mentioned Maildirs and a news spool). So far, I had
> >>no problems with xfs.
> >
> >I'll see how I go with ext3 for now, but I'll keep that in mind.
>
> Ext2 and ext3 get really slow when you have lots of files (or
> subdirectories) in one directory.
>
> However that was fixed some time ago. If you're running 2.6 you
> can enable the dir_index on an ext3 filesystem. See man mkfs.ext3:
>
>        -O feature[,...]
>               Create  filesystem  with  given  features  (filesystem options)
>
>                    dir_index
>                           Use  hashed  b-trees  to  speed  up lookups in large
>                           directories.
>

> You can enable this on existing filesystems using tune2fs. See man
> tune2fs(8) for more information.

I've looked at the man page. I'm interested in trying this, but I have a
question: The -O feature... option allows one to set and clear file system
features, but how can I query the system to discover which features are
set on which volumes?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net