.xmodmap and .Xsession are ignored

Hi!
I'm running debian-unstable, using gdm ( configured for use with XDMCP ). I have changed to ion3 four days ago, coming from gnome. In ion3 you have to do things like starting apps on X session startup yourself, so I put:

exec "feh .. " in my ~/.Xsession but I won't start. In addendum, neither .xmodmap nor .Xrecources are heeded. If I do a xrdb -merge ~/.Xrecources it works like intended to.

Any suggestions ??

Many thanks in advance, Renee!

--
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless