Re: lvm problems

Kelly Harding wrote:
> Hi I currently run Debian Unstable on a PII/350 dual cpu machine.
>
> It is running 2.4.27 and i've recent;y had to reboot it due to a power
> failure.
>
> There is a 3 drive LVM volume on it, across 3 36GB scsi drives connected
> to a Adaptec 2940U2W car.The filesystem on all
> drives is XFS.
>
> The system came back up fine except for the LVM volume.
>
> It now won't load/mount for some reason.
>
> I'm getting the following errors:
>
> I get the following error if I try  to run 'vgchange -a y 3diskvolume:
>
> device-mapper ioctl cmd 11 failed: Invalid argument
>   _deps: task run failed for (254:0)
>   Failed to add device (254:0) to dtree
>   1 logical volume(s) in volume group "3diskvolume" now active
>
> It obviously won't mount after that as mount tells me it can't find the
> superblock etc.
>
> I also noticed from the dmesg output the following:
>
> device-mapper: one of name or uuid must be supplied, cmd(11)
>
> This appears when the previously mentioned command is run.
>
> I've no idea what this means or if it isa case of a re-install of the
> base system might fix this? maybe something with the
> base system has gone a bit fubar?
>
> any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Kelly

Are you able to access the contents of /etc/lvm?  If so, check the
file(s) in /etc/lvm/backup/* and use the information there to recreate
your LVM setup.  If not, you can probably boot an LVM-capable live CD (I
know that Knoppix is not capable) and then scan the individual PVs to
possible reconstruct your setup.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez