/dev/dsp missing gnome applet volume control complaining

Hey gang,

I'm running sarge on an ibm laptop T40 from emperorlinux.

I just upgraded the empkernel to 2.6.12 which got lots of things
working which I had broken trying to fiddle with sound on my own.

Later, when I tried to get the cdrom player working under gnome:
/usr/bin/gnome-cd but had weak or no sound.

SO, I went to the gnome Volume Control Applet (2.8.2) but it complains
about: "Sorry, no mixer elements and/or devices found" in an Error dialog.

When I checked for devices I see no /dev/dsp but there is a /dev/snd and
/dev/sndstat.

Anybody else seen gnome Volume Control broken as such?

Is this a side effect of moving from oss to alsa?

I was able to turn the sound up by: apt-get install kde kdm
and using the kde volume control gismo.

lsmod | grep snd:
snd_intel8x0           29504  1
snd_ac97_codec         80120  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm                84616  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              21892  1 snd_pcm
snd                    47844  5 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               7904  2 audio,snd
snd_page_alloc          7812  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

Thanks, hgh.

--
Henry Hollenberg
hgh@rcwm.com