Raid 5 detects but doesn't start on boot

New sarge install.
System is on hda under lvm, works fine.
Created raid 5 device after system was built
dmesg shows autodetect of the array

Array doesn't start (nor lvm on top of it) during boot though.

I've kludged it by adding a S49mdadm and S50lvm script to rc2.d but this
is after fstab has been read, so I can't put any mounts in it and would
have to write another script to mount all these (which are nfs and samba
exports, nothing to the local system)

It all seems rather kludgy to me ... what do I have to do to get the
array and lvm to start during the normal boot sequence early enough such
that mount points can be in fstab?

Again ... it sees the array:
md: md0 stopped.
md: bind<sdb1>
md: bind<sdc1>
md: bind<sda1>
raid5: automatically using best checksumming function: pIII_sse
pIII_sse  :  5448.000 MB/sec
raid5: using function: pIII_sse (5448.000 MB/sec)
md: raid5 personality registered as nr 4
raid5: device sda1 operational as raid disk 0
raid5: device sdc1 operational as raid disk 2
raid5: device sdb1 operational as raid disk 1
raid5: allocated 3160kB for md0
raid5: raid level 5 set md0 active with 3 out of 3 devices, algorithm
2
RAID5 conf printout:
--- rd:3 wd:3 fd:0
disk 0, o:1, dev:sda1
disk 1, o:1, dev:sdb1
disk 2, o:1, dev:sdc1

AND the base system is running under LVM ...

TIA for any advice ...

--
Hank Marquardt <hank@yerpso.net>
GPG Id: 2BB5E60C