Re: Question: Maximum number of directories?

Note: I am reposting this to the list where I guess you wanted to
reply to. I hope you don't mind. Please don't send copies to me
directly, I am reading the list.

Gerorge Reece-Howe:

> "Jochen Schulz" <ml@well-adjusted.de>
>>
> >Anyway, the maximum number of files in a directory (dirs are just
> >special files) is dependant on the filesystem you are using. I cannot
> >provide any numbers, but for every current FS the maximum should be too
> >high to reach under any but the most unusual circumstances. I have
> >Maildirs with more than 20,000 files in it and there are no problems.
>
> Thanks. I may be running into the hundreds of thousands. I suppose I may
> just have to run a test and be prepared to reinstall. :)

You probably won't need to reinstall. You just should be prepared to
reformat the partition where MySQL puts its data in case the filesystem
is too slow.

> I am running debian sarge, current stable and am not aware of any changes
> to whatever it's default filesystem is. How would I check?

Default is ext3, I think. You can check with 'mount'. I have:

$ mount | grep hda
/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/hda5 on /home type xfs (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /srv type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /var type xfs (rw)

You can see that / and /srv are ext3 and /var and /home are xfs. I
chose xfs for these because they contain directories with a lot of
files (the already mentioned Maildirs and a news spool). So far, I had
no problems with xfs.

J.
--
If I was Mark Chapman I would have shot John Lennon with a water pistol.
[Agree]   [Disagree]